Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Factor (no s) that lead to the Holocaust

Um...I'm sorry that this isn't going to be as informative nor structurally sound as some of my other blogs, but I just realized they're due tomorrow and I need to get working on other stuffs.

Okay so when I was younger I used to go to my "German" grandmother's house to learn how to bake, crochet, knitt, sew, etc. She's not related to me but I called her grandma anyway cuz she's like 80 something. I remember I did this project in 8th grade where I interviewed her for a WWII project (cuz she lived in northern Germany until she was like 30 or something). One of the questions I asked was "Why did the Germans believe in Hitler? Did anyone see through him?"

-Germans believed in Hitler because after WWI Germany was in this giant wreck (correct me if I'm wrong) after the Treaty of Versailles and the Allies were like "PAY US MONEY YOU DON'T HAVE OTHERWISE WE'LL KICK YOUR BUTT *again*" So...Germany's got this giant debt and they're all destroyed cuz a war just happened and all of a sudden POOF Hitler shows up like some magical fairy that waves a wand a suddenly everyone had jobs and money and food! Glorious bread too! So....Similar to FDR (everyone likes him right?) People admired Hitler because he became a godsend during one of Germany's time of need. But unlike FDR (not really) Hitler hated Jews and was kind of a fanatic about it and ended up going over the deep end, oh don't forget the fact that he had millions of followers by that point. I think somewhere along the line there's some crazy German supernationalism. etc. etc. But that's what my Grandma told me.

-So you might wonder what position did my Granny take on all of this. I think she was 13~16 when Hitler came to power and lived through WWII and all. As this anecdote goes, her dad saw Hitler on the b&w telly when he first because Chancellor and pointed to the screen and said "Because he's in power, there will be trouble." Then again from what I've heard her Dad was also this amazing coffee chugger (they owned a restaurant and people would buy him drinks, but he quit alcohol so he had lots of coffee instead), so take what he said with a couple grains of salt. In short, my Grandma's family oppossed Hitler, however they did not openly express this opinion because you all know what happened if you did .


....Maybe a little too colloquial for this, but I'll come back and fix it after I'm done stressing. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment