Sunday, April 11, 2010

Final Thoughts on Germany

What surprised you about Germany?

My list of stereotypes had been short but sweet:

Germany Stereotypes- Heavy food, Strict/Rule-Following, I associate it with Russia

The first two stereotypes were met head on. All we ate was wurst (sausage) and schnitzel (fried meat). The food did not taste bad, but my meals in California generally consist of Korean food (super healthy), Sprout salads, Fraiche frozen yogurt, and an occasional Tiger Spice Chai tea from Coupa Cafe and for dessert, fruit. But I remember for one meal, we ordered a salad with the hope of tasting green again, but the salad itself was more of a side dish (make way for the crispy mozzarella sticks!) The dressing was also a thick coat of a mystery mayonnaise. And for dessert, our taste buds usually met up with nutella or some sultry waffles.
I had also anticipated the people to be a little less passionate and free-spirited than what I have come to expect of the French or Italians. Not a lot of the storeowners or people on the streets smiled back or did welcoming gestures; they were very down to the core, not earth, core!
However, my last stereotype was not met. I had been hearing about political struggles and instability in Russia and how frightening of a country it is, and I was for some reason associating Germany with that sense of disarray. Despite the lack of color and flair within the people and places, Germany looked and felt a lot like Western Europe, with some streets that reminded me of the Champs-Elysees and certain plazas in Florence--no sign of fear.
Ok, I'm getting bus-sick...peace

No comments:

Post a Comment